Self Help Forms
New Mexico Legal Aid is in the process of developing free forms for people who are going to represent themselves in court (pro se).
Before you get started, here are a few things you need to know:
- You need to use the Internet Explorer web browser (some of the final procedures require this).
- You need Microsoft Word to be able to print your final documents (there might be some alternatives mentioned later on, but Microsoft Word will give you the best documents).
- The computer you are using must have Adobe Flash installed.
There Is NO Legal Advice Given Here.
- You should talk to a lawyer before you try to use any of these interviews.
- Otherwise you might be giving up important legal rights.
We Recommend That You Create An Account.
- At both the beginning and end of an interview session, you will have the chance to create an account so that you can save your answers. We recommend that you do this because:
- You will be able to come back later and change or update your answers without having to re-type everything;
- You will be able to save your document to a jump drive or memory card so you can print later (you might be using a public computer to answer the questions and then want to take the file home to print at your home printer);
- You will be able to email your document to yourself so you can print it somewhere else.
Security Of This Site:
- Any information sent over this site is secure.
- You can read the Privacy Policies at www.lawhelpinteractive.org
- However, if you are using a public computer or any computer that does not belong to you, remember to completely close out of the internet browser when you are finished.
- If you forget to do this, you might accidentally share your personal information with someone else.
How Long Do The Interviews Take?
- All interviews will "time out" after 2 hours (120 minutes) of no activity, so you should gather the information listed as required before you get started.
- Some interviews might take as little as 30 minutes to complete, other interviews could take more than 1 hour, depending on how much information you need to add.
Printing & Number of Pages
- The final set of documents and instructions for divorce documents might be somewhere between 35 and 40 pages.
- Those for a name change should be less than 20 pages.
- And make note: there will be several different sets of instruction pages that will print to help explain what to do with the paperwork once you have printed it.
- You will have the chance to save your work and come back later for printing, email the document to yourself, or save it to flash drive.
Acting As Your Own Lawyer
- When you use the documents created by these interviews, you are telling the court that you are prepared to act as your own attorney and will be able to learn and follow all the rules of court and procedure just like licensed attorneys must do.
Here are the Interviews:
- Divorce Interview - Use this interview to get the documents you will need to file for divorce, BUT FIRST click here to read about the information that you will need to complete this interview.
- Divorce Response - Use this interview to file a response to a petition for dissolution of marriage, BUT FIRST click here to read about the information that you will need to complete this interview.
- Divorce Finalization - Use this interview when you need documents to present to the judge so that your divorce can be made final (make sure you have either had your spouse served or your spouse has signed off on an uncontested divorce). The packet includes a Final Decree, Marital Settlement Agreement, and, if you and your spouse have children, a Parenting Plan and Support Obligation, BUT FIRST click here to read about the information that you will need to complete this interview.
- Motion for Temporary Orders - Use this interview after you have already filed a case to ask for a court hearing about temporary custody, temporary child support, temporary income and debt division.
- Adult Name Change for persons 14 years old and over. This will redirect you to another webpage for an online interview to assemble the name change document.
- Name change for persons 13 years and younger.This will redirect you to another webpage for an online interview to assemble the name change document.