Federal Government Shutdown on SNAP - What you need to know
Instead of getting SNAP in February, you will get it early – on January 20th.
ISD will NOT be issuing SNAP again in February.
If you get SNAP on your EBT card early, you will not get SNAP again in February. Keep this in mind when you are making decisions about buying food. SNAP will stay on your card until you decide to use it!
If ISD needs paperwork to approve your SNAP or keep your SNAP case open, get it to ISD as quickly as possible.
Due to the shutdown and directions from the federal government, it is important that you send ISD missing paperwork as quickly as possible. The fastest ways to get paperwork to ISD are:
- Upload documents on yes.state.nm.us
- Go to a local ISD office
If you do not get SNAP on your EBT card on January 20th or you have questions for ISD, call 1-800-283-4465.
For help with food resources in your community and help with SNAP paperwork, call the Road Runner SNAP Support Line at 1-844-684-6268
Other Important Facts
- The shutdown has NO impact on SNAP eligibility rules or on HSD’s issuance of cash assistance benefits.
- Retailers will continue to accept SNAP during the shutdown.
- If the shutdown continues through February, we do not yet know what will happen to SNAP in March.
- When the shutdown ends, SNAP will go back to normal.
Thanks to the New Mexico Center on Law and Poverty for this information