Low Income Tax Clinic
Apply for help from New Mexico Legal Aid's Low Income Tax Clinic if you ...
- Have a dispute with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).
- Received a letter from the IRS.
- CLICK HERE for a downloadable flyer about the Low Income Tax Clinic.
You have a dispute if ...
- The IRS is asking you to provide support for a deduction or credit claimed on your return;
- The IRS has denied a deduction or credit claimed on your return;
- The IRS has issued a “Notice of Deficiency” and you have 90 days to petition the U.S. Tax
- You can’t pay an existing IRS debt; or
- You owe income tax for a year in which you were married to an abusive spouse.
TIPS If you have received a letter from the IRS …
- Read the letter immediately;
- Call the IRS if you have any questions;
- Learn your rights by reading IRS Publication 1 (download a copy here);
- Document everything; and NEVER miss a deadline while you are waiting for the Clinic or anyone else to represent you.