Return of Security Deposits

Information provided on this page DOES NOT create any attorney-client relationship between the web page visitor and New Mexico Legal Aid. Visiting this web page does not obligate New Mexico Legal Aid to provide any direct legal assistance or representation to the visitor.

There are specific steps that a Tenant must follow to request that a former Landlord return her/his/their Security Deposit after the Tenant moves out.

We have gathered together some information available elsewhere on the internet to guide tenants who have moved out about the process for requesting/demanding that your former Landlord return your security deposit.

Even though the attachment, Self Help 101, relates to filing a case in Bernalillo County Metro Court, the procedures are the same if you are filing in a Magistrate Court outside of Bernalillo County. (You can find more information [HERE]. The links labeled "pamphlets" have very good information and will generally apply to procedures in Magistrate Courts.) 

Magistrate Court contact information can be found [HERE] 

The full version of New Mexico Legal Aid's Renters Guide can be found [HERE] 

Table of Contents